It’s been a big week for anniversaries. While the USA remembers the tragedy of 11 September 2001, in London this week marks the anniversaries of the Great Fire, a Zeppelin raid and the start of the Blitz. And of course in ‘other news’ there has been the small matter of the Queen becoming Britain’s longest serving monarch.
1. My City of Ruins: Samuel Pepys and John Evelyn recount the aftermath of the Great Fire.
2. The centenary of the 3rd Zeppelin raid on London.
3. On 7th September 1940: a survivor recounts the bombing of Columbia Road Market.
4. Peter Watts recounts the Legacy of the Blitz
7. Lost London – the Great Conduit
8. Down House: Charles Darwin’s Forever Home.
9. Cries of London: the curious legacy of Francis Wheatley.
10. Spirit of Soho Mural: celebrating the history and characters of Soho.